Monday, 18 May 2015

spicing it up

I have always loved spicy food. I can't say that my 29 year old body 100% agrees with me anymore but hey, thats what antacids are for!

It's been quite warm in England as of late, but this past weekend the wind rolled in and made days and nights a lot colder. So I decided to make myself some homemade roasted pepper and tomato soup to warm me up.


Ingredients:

  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small white onion (chopped)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 can of italian diced tomatoes
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use 1 full teaspoon for extra kick)
  • 2-3 tablespoons of cream (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cut the red peppers in quarters and remove the seeds. Lightly coat the peppers in olive oil and grill (cut side down) under medium heat for about 8 minutes. All grills/broilers are different so just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.

While the peppers are cooking, mix cayenne pepper, tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped onions, and salt and pepper together and place in a blender or food processor -- you can also use an immersion blender, but I don't have one of those. Once the peppers are finished grilling add them to the mix and blitz until smooth. Put the soup in a pot and heat through then serve. If the soup is too thick for your liking you can add a bit of water or vegetable stock. 

I topped my soup with a bit of cheese, sour cream, and jalapeƱos! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment